The Charter Township of Clinton, usually referred to as Clinton Township, is a charter township and a census-designated place (CDP) of Macomb County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is a part of Metro Detroit. As of the 2010 census, the township had a total population of 96,796, and is Michigan’s most populous township. It is also the tenth largest municipality in Michigan.
The township was organized as “Huron Township” on August 12, 1818, named after what was then known as the Huron River. Because of confusion with another Huron River south of Detroit, on July 17, 1824, the Michigan Territorial Legislature renamed both the township and the river after DeWitt Clinton, the popular governor of New York from 1817 to 1823 who was largely responsible for building the Erie Canal which enabled many settlers to come to Michigan.
Moravian Drive is the township’s oldest road dating back to the days when the Moravian Missionaries settled to attempt to convert the local Native Americans.
Residents are served by the Clinton-Macomb Public Library Clinton Township is also home of the Walker Goldie Institute. This organization is dedicated to the education of youth through teaching and after school programs. The organization was founded by Kimberly Hyde in 2007.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 28.2 square miles (73 km2), of which, 28.2 square miles (73 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.11%) is water. The Clinton River forks into three branches within the township.
The U.S. Census Bureau has also defined Clinton Charter Township as a census-designated place (CDP) in the 2000 Census so that the community would appear on the list of places (like cities and villages) as well on the list of county subdivisions (like other townships). The final statistics for the township and the CDP are identical.
As of the census of 2000, there were 95,648 people, 40,299 households, and 25,549 families residing in the township. The population density was 3,392.5 per square mile (1,310.0/km²). There were 41,803 housing units at an average density of 1,482.7 per square mile (572.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 91.12% White, 4.66% African American, 0.29% Native American, 1.68% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.41% from other races, and 1.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.74% of the population.
As of the census of 2010, there were 96,796 people, 42,036 households, and 25,678 families residing in the township.
There were 40,299 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.7% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.6% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 2.98.